Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Three North American river otters released

September 28, 2017
BY MEGHAN McCOY ( , Island Reporter, Captiva Current, Sanibel-Captiva Islander

Three North American river otters experienced a taste of freedom after nearly eight months at the Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife when they were released successfully in Punta Gorda Wednesday, Sept. 27.

"It was an amazing release from what I thought," CROW Rehabber Yvette Carrasco said. "It was a perfect habitat and there had been otters there in the past."

The first North American river otter arrived at CROW in February, with others following through March. One was transferred from a rehabilitation facility in Fort Lauderdale and the other two were transferred from rehabilitation facilities near Tampa.

Article Photos

Three North American river otters were released on property in Punta Gorda Wednesday, Sept. 27.

The otters spent the better part of the year at CROW to replicate the amount of time they would spend with their parent learning how to hunt for prey on their own. Due to these otters being orphaned at a young age, the staff of CROW made sure they duplicated those efforts through enrichment items and live prey offered on a regular basis.

"River otters are a very special species and rely on their family group to learn skills needed for survival," CROW's Hospital Director Dr. Heather Barron said in a prepared statement. "Often times, when a rehab center gets in one otter, other centers will send otters to them, so they can be raised together."

The four otters had a soft release before Hurricane Irma touched Southwest Florida, which Carrasco said resulted in them sticking around the property. She said the soft release entailed them opening the doors to the enclosure for shelter, and providing food within.

"They didn't want to eat anything. They took shelter underneath the stairwell. When we were allowed on the island we found them just hanging out. They really didn't eat," she said. "They were distracted and they really didn't eat when they were out and about."

CROW staff ended up recapturing them, which Carrasco explained to be a stress free event because they walked into the crate.

Although four were recaptured, one remains at the hospital under a treatment plan due to a wound on the pad of one of its feet.

"Her wound is looking better and she is keeping the bandage on," Carrasco said. "We are providing a lot of enrichment in there, so she is not trying to take the bandage off."

CROW had six otters under their care this season. Two had already been released at J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web